Retail Manager is a diverse role that includes leading and developing a team to achieve business objectives and work with a wide range of people, requiring excellent communication skills.
Maximising income and minimising wastage are essential to the job and therefore individuals must develop a sound understanding of business and people management principles to support the achievement of the vision and objectives of the business. Retail managers champion the way for personal development, training and continuous improvement, encouraging their team to develop their own skills and abilities to enhance business performance and productivity.
The Retail Manager Apprenticeship will give apprentices the knowledge to:
- manage customer experience
- understand vision and competitive position
- understand key drivers of profitable retail
- plan and manage marketing cycles
- communicate and cascade information effectively
- set challenging sales targets
- understand how to inspire and motivate teams
- understand how local demographics impact on business.
It will help them develop skills in the following areas:
- Team management –manage training and development, promote the use of technology, ensure policies and procedures are followed, be accountable for customer experience and coordinate effective team dynamics.
- Merchandising and communication – effective marketing, adapt methods to the situation, set challenging targets, demonstrate commercial awareness, understand marketing cycles, be customer focused and analyse the market.
- Business administration –ensure the use of appropriate policies and procedures, manage legislation and audit compliance, manage risk and meet business objectives.
- Organisational awareness –take ownership and lead the team to exceed objectives.